Professional Ethics for the Hair and Beauty Industry
Professional appearance may differ between the hairdressing and beauty industries however here are a list of general guidelines.
- Clean and pressed clothing or uniform
- No open-toes shoes for health and safety reasons
- Hair clean. Also neat and tidy for beauty therapy
- Well applied make-up
- No jewellery except 1 pair of small stud earrings and wedding band for beauty
- Clean nails - if you are wearing polish it should be well applied and unchipped. Nails should be short for beauty therapy
- Ensure you have good personal hygiene
- No strong perfume should be worn
- Do not smoke or eat strong smelling foods before working.
- Always wash hands before and after a treatment or service
Remember that a professional appearance will help to give the client confidence as well as to minimise cross-infection.
- Always be courteous and show respect for clients, colleagues and other professionals.
- Never gossip or criticise another therapist
- Never talk across to another member of staff
- Maintain a good reputation by setting an example of good conduct in all your communication with others.
- Try the best you can to make the treatment or service special for the client